This post is going to be different from others on this blog. Rather than provide information, this is a collection of resources that those interested in zero waste and low waste fashion can use to get started and further research. Resources for zero and low waste fashion are scarce and hard to find so if these are topics you are interested in, bookmark this page because I will be adding more as I come across resources.
And please, share any resources in the comments (shameless self-promotion welcome if related to zero or low waste fashion).
What is zero waste and low waste fashion?
This might seem like a simple question, but the answer is quite complex. In short, zero waste and low waste fashion both try to diminish and limit the amount of waste that comes from producing clothes. This goes all the way from fiber production (whether natural or synthetic) to disposal of old clothes, and includes all the steps in between.
Consumers, can usually only control where they buy their clothing items, how they use them and care for them, and how they dispose once they can;t be used anymore. Designers and producers can usually go a step forward and affect how materials are used and disposed of.
Reaching full zero waste fashion might be impossible, however it can be a goal while low waste is implemented.
- Sustainable design techniques
- Zero waste fashion (at Wikipedia)
- Zero waste fashion: a new, sustainable fashion practice
- Zero waste fashion: what it is + 7 brands implementing it today
- Zero waste sewing
- Fashion Fibers: Designing for Sustainability
- ReFashioned: Cutting-Edge Clothing from Upcycled Materials
- Zero Waste Fashion Design
- The Conscious Closet: The Revolutionary Guide to Looking Good While Doing Good
- The Sustainable Fashion Handbook
- Zero Waste Sewing: 16 projects to make, wear and enjoy
- Eco Fashion
- Sustainable Fashion and Textiles: Design Journeys
Brands and people
- 15 Ways to Be a Sustainable Fashion Brand (Without Stifling Creativity)
- Making Clothes without Making Waste
- Simple Zero Waste Top with Amy Sperber
- 3 creative ways to fix fashion’s waste problem | Amit Kalra
- Zero–Waste Fashion Design with Holly McQuillan
- Zero Waste Pattern-making Presentation
- Design lessons on zero waste fashion with Etsy seller Ninoshka